Saturday, July 6, 2013

Summer Reading 2013: Beneath the Surface

For those of you who are into summer reading at your public library, this year's theme is "Beneath the Surface". I have added a list of recommended books based off that theme that I found at my library below, edited down to what I have read. I included personal comments on each. I will most likely do some more extensive posts on some of these titles throughout the summer. I hope that those who read this will find at least one enjoyable title to read this summer. Happy reading! (Note: * symbolize that I will write a more extensive blog entry on specific titles. But these, despite lack of comments now, are excellent reads.)

Anya's Ghost by Vita Bosco- I read this for Battle of the Books a few years ago. It is a graphic novel. I didn't really like it, but that was mainly because I found it to be a little scary. Then again, I don't usually read ghost stories.
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanigan-This is a good fantasy story, with messages about family. It was a little hard to follow at first, but I enjoyed it.
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare- I have already posted a blog entry on this.
*Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
*Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
*The Diviners by Libba Bray
*The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
*Graceling by Kristin Cashore
*Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- I read this for a previous Battle of the Books. It wasn't my favorite book, but if you're looking for classics, don't pass it by.
Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl- This book was definitely a romantic comedy. I enjoyed reading it.
Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick- This tale of lovers across the age, was a bit dark at times, but really drove in the theme of undying love.
Paper Towns by John Green-Again, I read this for Battle of the Books. I thought it was a very interesting novel, but I thought that there were a few bizarre twists in it.
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater- I read the first book in this series and found it to be a good fantasy story. I must admit that I found the romance in it a little predictable.
*Seraphina by Rachel Hariman
Ship breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi- Another former Book Battle title, Ship Breaker is a futuristic story. It is adventurous, with interesting characters and a fast-paced story line.

I think this list has some enticing books on it. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment